- The advantageous shape of this type of turtles helps them move undersea.
- one special feature of the turtle is that the shell is not boney but soft, which prevents it from being damaged by high pressure in the deep water.
- it can sleep in the water for several hours before feeding
- it was fed on food high in protein
- researchers sent sailing boats to catch leatherback turtles then attached tracking devices to them to study the migration in the Atlantic Ocean
- When the turtle reaches the surface, the tracking device transmits a signal
- the device can not only monitor the location and depth the turtle stays
- the device should be charged to avoid running out of power
- the experiment was conducted on one female turtle named Linda. After tracing it for 2 months, researchers found no damage or crack in her shell.
- but it moves very slowly to save energy